Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Retrieving a metal article

Atlas seems to be doing really well with retrieving his plastic dumbbell. I have "tested" him at the obedience club, and he will do a near-perfect retrieval both on the flat, and going over a jump. I didn't have to do much of anything to get him to retrieve over the jump, he just figured it out on his own. Hallalujah for smart dogs! I know Phoebe is going to be a bigger challenge when she gets to that level.

Over the weekend I bought my first-ever set of scent articles, in preparation for utility work. The articles have been previously used, and they are exactly the perfect size, but instead of a single rod in the middle, they have 2 rods, each on opposite corners of the dumbbell. I am really eager to start scent work with Atlas and Phoebe, but I realized I needed to make sure they were comfortable with the new equipment and understood how to retrieve *these* dumbbells.

I read somewhere that dogs often dislike picking up metal articles, and it is better to start with the metal articles to get them used to it. So I tried to have Atlas "take" the metal dumbbell, and he thought I was crazy. Why would he want to put that nasty metal thing in his mouth?

Now we are almost back to square one, teaching him to put his teeth on the metal for a click and treat. He actually did pick it up and bring it to me once, with the metal shivering in his mouth because he didn't want to hold it. But in general I am still working on having him put it in his mouth while it is on the floor. Because of the double-rods, he prefers to paw at it. No C/T for that, but he continues to try it!

Phoebe is a little better about the metal. Just now as I worked with her, I started getting her consistently "clacking" her teeth on the metal bit while the dumbbell is on the floor. With the giant schnauzer's beard, it is impossible for me to see it, so I have to listen carefully for that clacking sound and make sure she isn't knocking it with her paw. It is encouraging that she seems OK with metal. She is still not able to do a full retrieve with the plastic dumbbell, but I've put that aside for now in favor of working with the metal articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment