Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Pup-Peroni dog treats? Are they tricking you?

I admit it, sometimes I treat my dogs with bona fide "junk food."  I know it's healthier for them to eat nonprocessed meats, but shelf-stable, soft dog treats are convenient when I can't prepare my own treats.

One type of treats my dogs really like are called Pup-Peroni sticks.  I love that they are easy to carry in a pocket, and easily break into small pieces without getting crumbly.  I was so excited when I saw the big 25 oz. bags were on sale at the grocery store!

But I noticed something funny when I brought home a "big bag."  These Pup-Peroni treats were a lot meatier and larger than the leftovers I still had in my training bag.  Surely they don't shrink when exposed to air???  I bought a brand new, smaller 5.6 ounce bag of Pupperoni and I compared the sticks inside.
A single stick from the
"small bag" weighs 9 grams.

A single stick from the
"big bag" weighs 19 grams.

The difference in length and thickness
between a "small bag" treat and a
"big bag" treat.
I was disappointed that Pup-Peroni uses longer and thicker sticks in its "big bag." The average owner probably feeds their dog a stick or two as a treat, and never considers the stick size might change depending on the size of the bag they purchased.  

I anticipated that the 25-ounce bag would have roughly 5 times as many sticks as the 5-ounce bag.  Surprise!  Not five times, four times, or even three times more. The smaller bag contains about 17 sticks, while the big bag has only slightly more than twice that (37 sticks).  

Is this a big deal?  In the grand scheme of things, no.  Pup-Peroni didn't cheat me by filling a 25-ounce bag with only 12 ounces of dog treats.  But unless I parcel them out carefully, that 25-ounce bag won't last nearly as long as expected. Ironically, I think I prefer the fatter Pup-Peroni sticks because they don't dry out as fast and stay fresher a bit longer when they are in my dog walking bag.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever noticed something similar with dog treats? Let me know if your dog has a favorite treat that works good for training!

No comments:

Post a Comment